Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Anniversary.

Cheese!
"What date will you celebrate as your wedding anniversary, then?", Mom asked.

It was late October of 2013, and we'd just told her we were going to get our marriage license and legally marry in advance of our wedding date - which was soon to be decided as June 7, 2015.

"I don't know - D. wants to celebrate June 28th, the date he asked me out, which is the true start of our relationship. I voted for July 3rd, our first date. But I really don't know yet", I responded. And in truth, I didn't care much because I never thought I'd even get married. And now, here I was, planning a wedding for 100 family and friends, and trying to figure out what date to celebrate as 'our' date.

Now, with the wedding two weeks past, and the benefit of a little sleep and a lot of time to think it over, the answer is: Yes.

Yes, as in, we will celebrate ALL of them, because each one represents a milestone in a journey that neither D. nor I thought we would ever take. Because they are inextricably linked, like a daisy-chain, where first meeting turned into first date turned into engagement turned into legal marriage turned into wedding. How do you separate any of this? How do you ascribe more importance to the date of your wedding than to the date that you realized you were never going on another date with a stranger, ever again?

Every day I wake up, thrilled not with every minute detail of my life, but thrilled with my life none the less. I am so blessed, and so grateful to have D. in my life, and every day he makes me happy; he makes me feel loved; he makes me feel like the teenager I was too serious to be when I actually was.  Why wouldn't I want to celebrate that as often as possible?

So, Mom, the answer is simple... Yes. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment